RimWorld multiplayer used to be a part of the game that we could only dream about but now with the Phi mod, we are finally able to play RimWorld multiplayer… sort of.
To be clear, as exciting as this prospect is, unfortunately, the Phi mod only brings in some multiplayer features. This isn’t a RimWorld co op mod and you won’t be able to play on the same colony at the same time as your mates.
What the Phi mod does add is multiplayer interactions between your and your friends’ colonies. Things, like chatting and sending resources from one person to another, are now possible, so it’s kind of RimWorld multiplayer right?
Here are the features that the current version of the phi mod will give you:
- Chatting with friends – the mod allows you to chat with any of your friends who are connected to the same server as you.
- Move colonists – the mod also allows you to send one of your colonists over to help your friends colony. It’s like a trade – you won’t have control of the colonist.
- Trade resources – this is the thing that you will probably use the most and is the closest thing to RimWorld multiplayer. You are able to send pods to your friends’ colonies containing whatever items you like meaning you can help your friends out if you’re ever in a tight spot.
How to Play Rimworld Multiplayer
There are a couple of ways you can connect to the game with your friends. You can either join a global server or you are also able to host your own server. This works for both Steam users and people who bought the game directly.
- Firstly you will need to download and enable the Phi mod
- Next, you either start a new game or load up one of your saved games
- Once you’re in the colony view you will see a new button in the bottom right-hand side of the screen labelled ‘server’
- Click this button to open up chat which will also tell you who else is on the server
- To interact with someone on the server, click on their nickname
How to Set up Your Rimworld Multiplayer Server
- Download the server setup file and save it to a relevant place on your computer so you don’t forget where you have put it
- Launch PhiServer.exe
If you need further instructions on how to set up your own RimWorld Multiplayer server, head to the original Ludeon Forums post here.
RimWorld Mod Compatibility
You can enable multiplayer on previously saved games, but we would always recommend backing up a save file before attempting to use a mod for the first time.
Rimworld Phi discord:
Backup Phi Server
This is a backup server to use in the inevitable scenario that the main phi server goes down or is having issues.
Fly-German Multigaming Community Server
Hosted by Fly-German – this is an online German community that plays several games including RimWorld.
This is a roleplay server – if that’s what you’re into then you can join up and get started on your RimWorld multiplayer roleplay!